Generation Hope Sponsor Application
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Generation Hope Sponsor. The impact of the Generation Hope Sponsor‐Scholar relationship is powerful and long‐lasting. We’re so excited about partnering with you in this endeavor.
You have reached the first step in the process of becoming a Generation Hope Sponsor. We are always accepting Sponsor applications but this application must be submitted by June 1, 2019 in order for us to successfully match you with a Scholar for the 2019/2020 academic year. You can submit it at any time prior to that date to be considered.
*Please Note: As a part of your application, you will be required to complete a background check. We conduct background checks on all Generation Hope volunteers to ensure the safety and well being of our Scholars and their children.
If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Avelino, Volunteer and Outreach Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 656-9539.
Click the button below to complete the Sponsor Application. *Please note: you are NOT able to save your information as you go. Please prepare any answers in a Word document and then cut and paste into the form to ensure that you do not lose information. If you have any questions about the application, please contact Michelle Avelino, Volunteer and Outreach Associate, at email@example.com or (202) 656-9539.
Generation Hope is a nonprofit organization that matches sponsors with teen parents who are attending college and are in need of financial and emotional support. Based on the belief that education is vital to success, its purposes are to give young parents and their children a support system as they pursue academic excellence, to provide a direct‐support experience for sponsoring organizations and individuals, and to create a new generation of ambitious and successful families.
Generation Hope Sponsors partner with us in support of this mission by providing teen parents who are attending college in Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia with emotional and financial support to help them complete college, pursue a successful career, and create a stable and productive environment for themselves and for their children.
Sponsor’s Financial Responsibilities and Guidelines:
- Sponsorships are a multi‐year commitment. A Sponsor agrees to a sponsorship level for each year that the Scholar attends college. If a Scholar is attending a four‐year college, their Sponsor would provide $2,400 per year for the duration of their time in college, and if a Scholar is attending a two-year college, their Sponsor would provide $1,200 per year for the duration of their time in college. If you are unable to make a two or four‐year commitment, we may be able to match you with a Scholar who is already mid‐way through their program.
- Financial contributions are due by July 31st of each year or can be paid monthly.
- Individuals or businesses/organizations can become Sponsors. Businesses/organizations must designate one individual to serve as the main point of contact.
- In addition to financial contributions, Sponsors may choose to provide in‐kind donations for their Scholars twice per year. In the Fall and Spring, Generation Hope Scholars will provide a Wish List of needed items for themselves and for their child or children. Calculators, notebooks, baby food, baby clothes, winter coats, etc., are examples of such items.
Sponsor applications will be evaluated on a first-come, first-serve basis. Matches will be made based on the best fit for both Sponsor and Scholar. If you are not matched with a Scholar for the 2019-2020 academic year, we will, at your request, hold your application for the 2020-2021 academic year, and you will be given first priority.
- Complete and submit application form above (if handwritten, please print legibly in black or blue ink).
- Complete the online background investigation form via the link that is emailed to you.
- Meet with Generation Hope leadership for a Sponsor interview.
All matches will be finalized by July 2019.
As a Sponsor You Will
Form a mentoring relationship with a teen parent from Washington, D.C., Maryland, or Virginia who is pursuing their college degree;
Receive mentor training to ensure that you and your Scholar get the most out of your relationship;
Gain access to Generation Hope’s network of colleges and universities, educators, local businesses, and individuals that are working together to decrease poverty and to make a college degree achievable for all people;
- Enjoy fun activities, such as museum tours and concerts, with other Scholars and Sponsors to foster interaction with your Scholar throughout the year;
- Experience opportunities to provide needed items to your Scholar; and
- Celebrate Generation Hope’s successes at various activities throughout the year,such as the annual Gala.
TO ACCESS A PDF VERSION OF THE APPLICATION, PLEASE CLICK HERE
- $2,400 per year sponsors full or partial tuition for a Generation Hope Scholar attending a four-year college
- $1,200 per year sponsors full or partial tuition for a Generation Hope Scholar attending a two-year college
- Sponsor agrees to undergo a background check.
- Sponsor agrees to attend a one‐time Mentor training in July 2019.
- Sponsor agrees to a mentoring relationship with their Scholar.
- Sponsor must demonstrate a sincere interest in positively impacting the life of a teen parent and assisting them in reaching their educational and career goals.